The history of Allen Park begins with the establishment of a farm called Pleasant Valley by Louis Langoulant back in 1869. However the impetus for the development of Allen Park as a major recreation area came from the councillor, John Allen who represented the west ward on Claremont/Nedlands Council for thirty one years (1919-1950). As a result of Allen’s constant lobbying, the 15 acres that is now Allen Park was secured as a recreational reserve.
During the 1920’s Agnes Buchanan and her brother Bert commenced campaigning for the opening of a tennis club in the area and in 1929, permission was granted for the laying down of 2 gravel tennis courts in Swanbourne Reserve (Allen Park). In the early years there were no club rooms or shelter of any kind and afternoon teas were enjoyed on the front verandah of the Buchanan home. During the 1950’s and 1960’s the club struggled to resolve rental disputes and financial issues that threatened its very survival.
The club gradually grew with a newclubhouse duly erected in 1938 overlooking the now four grass courts. Unfortunately just as the club was establishing itself as an attractive sporting entity, war clouds gathered in Europe and during the 1940’s and 1950’s the club was severely in decline. Eventually, the situation resolved and a new clubhouse was built in 1964 along with further grass courts, followed in 1971 by the first hard courts. By the early 1990’s the club had consolidated its facilities and finances and with its fully functioning seven grass courts,
four floodlit hard courts, men’s and women’s pennant teams and very competitive membership rates, Allen Park Tennis Club provided a great environment for competitive and social tennis. Allen Park Tennis Club has come a long way since it was first mooted by Agnes and Burt Buchanan. It has established itself as a family friendly club, which welcomes visitors and provides great opportunities for good tennis and plenty of socialising.